Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I started graduate school in the Fall of 2021. The enrollment started Aug 30, 2021 and I am still in school now. Is this full time for 2021?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I started graduate school in the Fall of 2021. The enrollment started Aug 30, 2021 and I am still in school now. Is this full time for 2021?

Yes. A full-time student for tax purposes is someone who meets the full-time requirements of their school for at least part of the month for five months, which do not have to be consecutive.

@shaun-epaints and just to add, that is any part of 5 months in the same calendar year - so for 2021, you have 5 months, even though August is just 2 days. 

if you only attended school from Sept, 2021 through January 2022, you would not be a full time student in either 2021 or 2022. 

IRS publication 970 / page 22:

Full-time student. You are a full-time student for 2021 if during any part of any 5 calendar months during the year you were enrolled as a full-time student at an eligible edu-cational institution (defined earlier), or took a full-time, on-farm training course given by such an institution or by a state, county, or local government agency.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies