Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I retired Financial Adv in 2013. Received 1099 Misc for Life Ins premium for $418. Am I am still considered self employed and subject to self Employment, SS taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I retired Financial Adv in 2013. Received 1099 Misc for Life Ins premium for $418. Am I am still considered self employed and subject to self Employment, SS taxes?

There are some special rules for life insurance.  You'll most likely have to report them as wages, but that's dependent on what kind of policy it was, which I don't know.

IRS Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable Income addresses life insurance and the different ways it can be paid.  The only way to be totally sure if it's subject to SE tax is to look at what specifically it's paid for.

I suggest doing a search on the term "life" in the above publication.  There are 76 instances of the word, but only about five that really matter.

If you are subject to SE tax, you won't owe anything because $418 * 92.35% =386, which is under the limit for payment of the tax.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

There are some special rules for life insurance.  You'll most likely have to report them as wages, but that's dependent on what kind of policy it was, which I don't know.

IRS Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable Income addresses life insurance and the different ways it can be paid.  The only way to be totally sure if it's subject to SE tax is to look at what specifically it's paid for.

I suggest doing a search on the term "life" in the above publication.  There are 76 instances of the word, but only about five that really matter.

If you are subject to SE tax, you won't owe anything because $418 * 92.35% =386, which is under the limit for payment of the tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies