Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I recently became an ebay seller. I'm hoping to turn this into a business. I'm not making much money at the moment. Do I need to file taxes yearly or quarterly?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I recently became an ebay seller. I'm hoping to turn this into a business. I'm not making much money at the moment. Do I need to file taxes yearly or quarterly?

Briefly:

You file one tax return per year, regardless of the kind of business or amount of income.  However, you must make quarterly estimated tax payments based on your income for that quarter.  If you over-pay your estimated payments, the difference comes back as your tax refund.  

For income earned Estimated payment is due
Jan-March April 15
April-May

June 15

June-August

Sept 15

Sept-Dec

January 15

You would owe income tax on your net income (gross income minus expenses) and also owe 15% self-employment tax.  So your tax payment should generally be 27%-37% of your net income after expenses, depending on your other income, dependents, marital status, other deductions, and so on.

Your business will be reported on a schedule C, which reports gross income, expenses, and calculates the net taxable profit.  This income flows to your main tax return where it is combined with any other income (wages, prizes, pension, etc.) and your personal deductions and dependents, to determine your final overall tax liability. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies