TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
276 people found this useful

How does my side job affect my taxes?

You’re considered self-employed—even if it’s just something you do on the side, like drive for Uber, babysit, or blog.

Your taxes are handled differently than when you’re an employee of a company.

As a self-employed individual you:

  • will pay self-employment tax (because income tax and Social Security aren’t deducted from your pay)
  • will get a 1099-MISC or 1099-K (unless you only accept cash or personal checks)
  • file a Schedule C, Form 1040 (this is how you report business expense or loss of income)
  • can deduct money you spent on work-related expenses (like mileage, home office expenses, and cell phone use)
  • can estimate the taxes that are due and make quarterly estimated tax payments during the year

Get started by entering your income from self-employment. We’ll handle the rest, from creating the forms you need to reviewing work-related expenses that can help reduce your taxes.