I received exactly $1200 less in my federal refund...

smalone11

I received exactly $1200 less in my federal refund and am not sure why. It sounds like a stimulus payment was taken back by the IRS. Any thoughts?

I never received the $1200 stimulus payment scheduled for 3/17/2021 and now they not only didn't send the March check, but they took back the one in 2019!!

What do you mean "took back" the $1200 you received?   Sounds like you are confused by the flow of information in the recovery rebate credit section.    You were supposed to enter the amounts you already received---if you do not enter the amounts correctly the software thinks you did not receive the stimulus check and adds it to your refund.   But ---- you cannot get it twice.   The IRS cross checks and recalculates your refund if you answered incorrectly about the stimulus you received already.

And there is nowhere at all that you enter anything about the 3rd stimulus of $1400 on a 2020 return.  That is a separate check that is not part of your tax refund.

Ok ... so the IRS says you DID get the first payment and you say you did NOT ... so read the IRS info here : 

A2. If you received Notice 1444 or Notice 1444-B in the mail and have not received your payments as mentioned in the notice, see How do I request a payment trace to track my first or second Economic Impact Payments?

Note: Do not request a payment trace if you are trying to determine eligibility for the payments or the amount of payments you should have received.  You must have been issued Notice 1444 or 1444-B showing your payments were issued or your online account must show your payment amounts (dates are not provided) to perform a trace.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-first-economic-impact-payment-topic-f-p...