Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received EDD for disability from 3/2/2016-7/1/2016 do I need to list if so where do I put info

It was not for unemployment or family leave it was state disability to get a procedure done and recovery
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

I received EDD for disability from 3/2/2016-7/1/2016 do I need to list if so where do I put info

If your EDD income was purely state disability, and not unemployment compensation or family leave payments, then it is nontaxable income.  You don't have to enter it anywhere on either your federal or your state tax return.

To be a bit more formal with the reasoning behind this conclusion, you should know that Disability Insurance (DI) benefits, in general, are not taxable . . .  except where they are considered to be a substitute for unemployment compensation, or when they are paid to an individual who is ineligible for unemployment insurance (UI) benefits solely because of the disability.

Only in this instance, where DI benefits are received in lieu of UI benefits, will the income be taxable.  In such cases the recipient should receive a Form 1099-G form (or a similar document) showing amounts paid and which are taxable.  The IRS will also be furnished with the same taxpayer information.

Thank you for asking this question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies