Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a Renter's Referral payment for $100. I signed a 1099 to receive it. Will it be applied at the 1099-MISC section?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

I received a Renter's Referral payment for $100. I signed a 1099 to receive it. Will it be applied at the 1099-MISC section?

Yes. If there was no 1099-MISC issued to you by the apartment complex, then here's how you would enter it into TurboTax.

Click on the Federal Taxes tab, then Wages & Income, then scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to Less Common Income.  At the bottom of the list of Less Common Income items, click on Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.  You'll then land on the Misc Income screen, where you'll again scroll to the bottom and select Other Reportable Income.

You'll then be taken to the Other Taxable Income page where you'll write in "Renter's Referral Bonus" and the $100 amount.  Advance to the end of the section and that's it.

This $100 will appear on line 21 of the 1040.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MichaelDC

Yes. If there was no 1099-MISC issued to you by the apartment complex, then here's how you would enter it into TurboTax.

Click on the Federal Taxes tab, then Wages & Income, then scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to Less Common Income.  At the bottom of the list of Less Common Income items, click on Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.  You'll then land on the Misc Income screen, where you'll again scroll to the bottom and select Other Reportable Income.

You'll then be taken to the Other Taxable Income page where you'll write in "Renter's Referral Bonus" and the $100 amount.  Advance to the end of the section and that's it.

This $100 will appear on line 21 of the 1040.

smun

How much are you taxed for the apartment referral bonus? (in California).

My dad received a 1099-Misc for a Senior Retirement Home for a referral bonus of $1500.  How do you enter this?  I followed above instructions but does not apply in his situation because of 1099 issued.  If I enter under 1099-Misc, there is no option for this item other than a prize entry.  Then it generates a gambling item on his forms.  I really need your directions

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@REFdue-2020

In your Dad's case, under Wages & Income go to Other Common Income and choose Income from FORM 1099-MISC.

Note: the wording and layout may vary from version to version - be flexible and you'll find it.

• Click on Add 1099-MISC Income.
  • Enter the 1099-MISC data. I assume that the $1,500 is in box 3.
  • Describe the reason for the income (referral bonus).
  • On the "Does one of these uncommon situations apply", answer None.
  • On "Does this involve work like his main job" answer "No".
  • And on the last screen "Did this involve an intent to make money", answer "No".

This should add the $1,500 to Other Income on line 8 on Schedule 1 (1040) without being involved with settling up a business or answering gambling question.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies