Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a lawuit settlement 1099-misc form and I am unsure if it is being awarded for back wages.

My work place lost a lawsuit settlement that required them to pay its employees for incorrect meal times. I just need to clarify if its back wages or not.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

I received a lawuit settlement 1099-misc form and I am unsure if it is being awarded for back wages.

The 1099-MISC probably contains taxable income from proceeds that were punitive in some form. A W-2 would represent payment for actual back wages.

When entering the 1099-MISC, indicate that the form was received from a lawsuit and the amount (if any) that represent back wages. (See attached screenshot.)

Here's some background that may be helpful:

Any portion of the settlement proceeds paid to compensate for wages must be reported through Form W-2, and will essentially be treated by the employer as a payroll check.  See I.R.C. § 6051. 

The employer will deduct applicable taxes and withholdings for Social Security and Medicare, and will remit the matching taxes to the IRS.  See I.R.C. § 3402(a). 

Any portion of the settlement proceeds paid for non-wages are typically reported through Form 1099-MISC as “other income.”   See I.R.C. § 6041.  The employer will not deduct any taxes or withholding and will not remit any matching taxes on these non-wage payments.

Plaintiffs often request that employers treat the entire settlement payment as “other income” under Form 1099-MISC, to avoid the deduction of taxes and withholdings.  While this practice may temporarily result in a larger settlement check for the plaintiff, it subjects both the employer and the employee to substantial potential tax liability. 

If portions of the settlement proceeds are misclassified as “other income” when, in fact, they are wages, the plaintiff will be responsible for all taxes, including the employer’s portion.  If the employee is unable to satisfy the tax burden of settlement proceeds, the IRS will likely turn to the employer for payment. 
In addition, if an employer fails to deduct and withhold income tax amounts by treating the employee or former employee as a nonemployee, the employer may be subject to additional liability, penalties, and interest.  
See I.R.C. § 3509.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MichaelDC

The 1099-MISC probably contains taxable income from proceeds that were punitive in some form. A W-2 would represent payment for actual back wages.

When entering the 1099-MISC, indicate that the form was received from a lawsuit and the amount (if any) that represent back wages. (See attached screenshot.)

Here's some background that may be helpful:

Any portion of the settlement proceeds paid to compensate for wages must be reported through Form W-2, and will essentially be treated by the employer as a payroll check.  See I.R.C. § 6051. 

The employer will deduct applicable taxes and withholdings for Social Security and Medicare, and will remit the matching taxes to the IRS.  See I.R.C. § 3402(a). 

Any portion of the settlement proceeds paid for non-wages are typically reported through Form 1099-MISC as “other income.”   See I.R.C. § 6041.  The employer will not deduct any taxes or withholding and will not remit any matching taxes on these non-wage payments.

Plaintiffs often request that employers treat the entire settlement payment as “other income” under Form 1099-MISC, to avoid the deduction of taxes and withholdings.  While this practice may temporarily result in a larger settlement check for the plaintiff, it subjects both the employer and the employee to substantial potential tax liability. 

If portions of the settlement proceeds are misclassified as “other income” when, in fact, they are wages, the plaintiff will be responsible for all taxes, including the employer’s portion.  If the employee is unable to satisfy the tax burden of settlement proceeds, the IRS will likely turn to the employer for payment. 
In addition, if an employer fails to deduct and withhold income tax amounts by treating the employee or former employee as a nonemployee, the employer may be subject to additional liability, penalties, and interest.  
See I.R.C. § 3509.

I received a lump-sum payment as a result of LTD lawsuit settlement. My Short Term and Long Term monthly payments before the settlement were tax-free since disability insurance payments were after-tax on my monthly paycheck. The issuer( an insurance company) of the lump-sump payment, issued a 1099-MISC with Box 3 containing the settlement amount and all the other boxes blank. I called the issuer requesting to send me a W2 for my settlement since I consider this lump sum payment as replacement for  my future LTD monthly payments which should be tax-free. The issuer refused this. I think i don,t have any other option but to enter 1099-MISC into Turbobax for 2020 tax return and still believe that this should not be taxable. Is there any way to indicate this to IRS that this is 1099-MISC income should not be taxable?  Also anyone know how to do this Turbotax online?     

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

1099-Misc box 3 reports prizes and awards or other income not subject to self-employment tax.  Perhaps your legal representation could explain why the facts and circumstances of your case result in this award being reported as taxable income.

Follow these directions to post in TurboTax Online 1099-Misc, box 3 income not subject to self-employment taxes.

• Down the left side of the screen, click Federal.
  • In the center of the screen, click Income & expenses.
  • On the screen Your income and expenses, scroll all the way down to the last section, Less Common Income.
  • Click the Start or Update button for the last topic, Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.
  • On the next screen, Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income, scroll down and click the Start or Update button for the last topic, Other reportable income.
  • The next screen asks, Did you receive any other taxable income. Click Yes.
  • On the next screen, Other Taxable Income, enter a description and the amount. Click Continue.
  • On the next screen click Done.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JHodge-808
Returning Member

So, please clarify how to enter the penalty portion of my settlement in TurboTax. I was part of lawsuit regarding unpaid overtime wages. We won the suit, and I received one check identified as a portion for back wages and the second portion as their penalty payment. They sent w-2 taking out taxes on wages for 1/2 settlement and a 1099-misc for the penalty portion. Some site say I shouldn't have to pay payroll tax nor SS etc on penalty portion. Please advise

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Qualified legal fees are deducted on sch 1. You will report it as negative income rather than a deduction. There are no taxes on this income.

To enter your qualifying legal fees from an employment discrimination suit in TurboTax Online,

• Go to Wages & Income
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income, 
  • Next to Miscellaneous Income,
  • Select  Other reportable income
  • Description "Qualifying Legal Fees," and
  • Enter the amount as a negative number.

The deduction will appear as an “above the line” deduction and will be deducted from your gross income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JHodge-808
Returning Member

So, if I understand what you are saying is that the "penalty" portion should not be taxed. I will look at your procedures to input correctly. Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies