Solved: I received a lawsuit settlement. If I gift my minor child $14,000 this year, do I still have to pay taxes on that as income?

I received a lawsuit settlement. If I gift my minor child $14,000 this year, do I still have to pay taxes on that as income?

Here are the IRS guidelines on which types of settlements are taxable:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4345.pdf

Gifting part or all of a settlement does not affect its taxability.

The IRS gift exclusion amount for 2018 is $15,000.  Gifts of $15,000 or less do not require filing of a gift tax return.

Gifts are not deductible by the donor, nor are they taxable to the recipient.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**

See the answers to your other question asking the same thing.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4510451-how-can-i-avoid-massive-taxes-from-a-lawsuit-settlement-de...>

The other question is more broad. But thank you SO much for all your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

if it is taxable, any amount gifted would still be taxable to you. 

Settlements are not always taxable, it depends on what it was for.  But if it is taxable, anything you do with the money after you receive it is treated as a separate event, and gifts are never tax deductible.