Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a form CP12 and got a far lower refund than TurboTax estimated, yet the “your calculations” section and the “IRS calculations” are an exact match. Why?

Line 30 shows a recovery rebate credit of $1200 according to TurboTax but is blank on the form received.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

I received a form CP12 and got a far lower refund than TurboTax estimated, yet the “your calculations” section and the “IRS calculations” are an exact match. Why?

A CP12 Notice is sent when the IRS corrects one or more mistakes on your tax return which either result in a different refund amount, or in an overpayment when you thought you owed.  From your notice and comments, it would appear you indicated on your filed return you did not receive your stimulus payments.  This would have provided a recovery rebate tax credit for the amount of stimulus you indicated not received and increased your refund.

Since it appears the IRS is indicating your did receive your stimulus payments in 2020, you refund was reduced by the amount of the recovery rebate tax credit claimed on your return and lowering the amount of your refund. 

Fayruy
Returning Member

We do not remember receiving the 3rd stimulus check.  How can I find out if we did receive it?  We have 2 letters that shows the two checks we did receive.

Fayruy
Returning Member

ok, I assume they would know but neither me nor my husband would remember. Do I change figures on my tax return & submit it?

JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, you don't need to change your tax return. 

I am assuming you also received a CP 12. This letter is an explanation of why your tax return was changed by the IRS. 

If you claimed the third stimulus check on your tax return and the IRS records show you already received it, you will get this letter either reducing your refund, or asking for the amount to be paid back. 

You can sign into your IRS online account (or create one) to see if your received your third stimulus payment. Click here to start. 

If you received a letter and this doesn't answer your questions, you can contact the Audit Support Center for more help. Click here to start. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies