dshafer673

I received a form 1099div form for a reit where do i enter this form. Is there special handling of REITs

is REITs handled differently than other than 1099-Div on which my infor came from

TomK

Enter your 1099-DIV form by reading the FAQ below; please note the instructions before the FAQ.

Mark the small box under the Box 1b-qualified dividends to open up all of the available box numbers for form 1099-DIV. Once the box is checked, Box 2b - Unrecap.Sec. 1250 gain will be visible.

"My form has info in more than just these boxes (this is uncommon)."  Please see screenshot below.

Please note: Non dividend distributions do not go anywhere on your actual tax return. Box 3 is for your information. Box 3 is a "return of capital". That is, you have been given back part of your original investment. As such, you reduce your cost basis, by the box 3 amount, in your own records, for when this investment (typically stock or mutual fund) is sold in the future.

Please read this TurboTax FAQ for additional information on how to enter a 1099-DIV in TurboTax Online: Where do I enter my 1099-DIV in TurboTax Online?

TomK

What box(es) have entries on your 1099-DIV?
dshafer673

boxes 2a, 2b, 3,  thank you for responding
TomK