Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a form 1099-div with a totally in boxes 1a and 1b only (same $) but did not exercise stock - do I report this as income?

I did not receive income from these dividends, so why is it reported in 1099-DIV as income?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received a form 1099-div with a totally in boxes 1a and 1b only (same $) but did not exercise stock - do I report this as income?

Unless your broker has made a horrible mistake, you did receive dividend income from one or more or your securities.

It's not necessary that you actually receive the cash and deposit it into your checking account to make a dividend "income" to you.  If you left that cash in the brokerage account or if the dividend was automatically reinvested in more shares, it's still income when it's paid to you, irrespective of what you did with the funds.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Unless your broker has made a horrible mistake, you did receive dividend income from one or more or your securities.

It's not necessary that you actually receive the cash and deposit it into your checking account to make a dividend "income" to you.  If you left that cash in the brokerage account or if the dividend was automatically reinvested in more shares, it's still income when it's paid to you, irrespective of what you did with the funds.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies