I received a form 1099-div with a totally in boxes 1a and 1b only (same $) but did not exercise stock - do I report this as income?

I did not receive income from these dividends, so why is it reported in 1099-DIV as income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Unless your broker has made a horrible mistake, you did receive dividend income from one or more or your securities.

It's not necessary that you actually receive the cash and deposit it into your checking account to make a dividend "income" to you.  If you left that cash in the brokerage account or if the dividend was automatically reinvested in more shares, it's still income when it's paid to you, irrespective of what you did with the funds.

Tom Young

Tom Young