aquarie2323

I received a certificate for income tax adjustment

I received a certificate for income tax adjustment from a previous years over payment and it is over $3000. Where can this repayment be applied on this years taxes? I am filing head of household and turbotax has stated that for it to be worth it I must have misc deductions more than $985. Why would that matter?

DDollar

You would have to call the IRS and ask them to apply the over payment to your current tax liability.  Probably the easiest thing to do is let them send you a check, deposit it, and then use the funds to pay them.  As for the miscellaneous deductions, it sounds like the program is telling you that you would need $985 of Miscellaneous expense for it to be worth claiming them.  That would be due to the fact that in order to take a deduction they must exceed 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) and then you can only deduct the portion that exceeds that 2% floor.

DDollar

aquarie2323

Should and can I file an amended tax return using IRS Form 1040x?  Would this allow me to get the refund check?  I received a refund for the tax year 2015.