Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a certificate for income tax adjustment

I received a certificate for income tax adjustment from a previous years over payment and it is over $3000. Where can this repayment be applied on this years taxes? I am filing head of household and turbotax has stated that for it to be worth it I must have misc deductions more than $985. Why would that matter?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You would have to call the IRS and ask them to apply the over payment to your current tax liability.  Probably the easiest thing to do is let them send you a check, deposit it, and then use the funds to pay them.  As for the miscellaneous deductions, it sounds like the program is telling you that you would need $985 of Miscellaneous expense for it to be worth claiming them.  That would be due to the fact that in order to take a deduction they must exceed 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) and then you can only deduct the portion that exceeds that 2% floor.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You would have to call the IRS and ask them to apply the over payment to your current tax liability.  Probably the easiest thing to do is let them send you a check, deposit it, and then use the funds to pay them.  As for the miscellaneous deductions, it sounds like the program is telling you that you would need $985 of Miscellaneous expense for it to be worth claiming them.  That would be due to the fact that in order to take a deduction they must exceed 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) and then you can only deduct the portion that exceeds that 2% floor.

Should and can I file an amended tax return using IRS Form 1040x?  Would this allow me to get the refund check?  I received a refund for the tax year 2015.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies