turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ejs2009

I received a 1099K from PayPal. I do not have a business. I made money from a rebate app called Ibotta $806.25. I am a Massachusetts resident, how do I file using Deluxe.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Karen1209

I received a 1099K from PayPal. I do not have a business. I made money from a rebate app called Ibotta $806.25. I am a Massachusetts resident, how do I file using Deluxe.

If you sold the items for more than you purchased them for, please see the instructions below for reporting your 1099-K:

• Type 1099-K in the search box on the top right.
  • Click Jump to 1099-k (this will take you to the applicable area of the interview).

If you did not sell any items for a profit, keep a copy of the 1099-K with a list of the items you sold and how much, with your tax records.  

From the Massachusetts Department of Revenue:  If you receive either a federal Form 1099-K or a Massachusetts Form M-1099-K that shows amounts paid to you, you must report taxable amounts on Schedule X, as other income, or if such amounts are derived from a trade or business, on Schedule C. See TIR 17-XX. (emphasis added).

There’s no selling on Ibotta, and it isn’t income. I see this question everywhere. Ibotta is a grocery store cash back app, but not literally. People submit receipts to them and get rebates back, after Ibotta essentially processes a manufacturer coupon for them. You wouldn’t calculate all the money you saved by using coupons in the grocery store and file them as income, and so you wouldn’t claim grocery rebates from Ibotta either. PayPal has no idea what Ibotta does. They just automatically send out a 1099 one you get a certain amount of payments and assume you’ll figure it out. Unfortunately it’s too late to change the decision made here but for next year, Ibotta is not income.

Similar situation. 1099k for Rakuten (cashback). What did you end up doing?

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies