Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ShahP

I received a 1099 Misc in my LLC's name. When I try to report this income under Business, TT asks me to associate this 1099 with either myself or my spouse. Why?

I thought if I received a 1099 in my business's name, that I do not need to associate it with me personally and can file under the business's income. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanH

I received a 1099 Misc in my LLC's name. When I try to report this income under Business, TT asks me to associate this 1099 with either myself or my spouse. Why?

You will need to associate your business with either you or your spouse if yours is a single-member LLC and considered a 'disregarded entity' by the IRS. The IRS generally considers any income from a single member LLC to belong to the single-member of the LLC when it is reported on a Schedule C under Business Income.

If yours is not a single-member LLC that you should first be filing your business return as appropriate (C-Corp, S-Corp, Partnership etc) and then report your portion of the LLC earnings on your personal return via the K-1 issued to you by the LLC.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SusanH

You will need to associate your business with either you or your spouse if yours is a single-member LLC and considered a 'disregarded entity' by the IRS. The IRS generally considers any income from a single member LLC to belong to the single-member of the LLC when it is reported on a Schedule C under Business Income.

If yours is not a single-member LLC that you should first be filing your business return as appropriate (C-Corp, S-Corp, Partnership etc) and then report your portion of the LLC earnings on your personal return via the K-1 issued to you by the LLC.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies