Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

andykeener
Returning Member

I received a 1099-MISC for work as a waitress and the owner didn't accept my tip reports. Where do I enter my unreported tips, since I never received a W-2?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MichaelMc

I received a 1099-MISC for work as a waitress and the owner didn't accept my tip reports. Where do I enter my unreported tips, since I never received a W-2?

By issuing a Form 1099-MISC rather than reporting your earnings as an employee on Form W-2, it appears that your employer is attempting to circumvent the requirement that he pay his share of FICA taxes on your earnings.

Politely inform your employer that you need to report the missing tips on your return to avoid problems with the IRS. Let them know you'll send an explanatory letter to the IRS so you don't get stuck paying your employer's payroll taxes. Hopefully your employer will quickly figure out that it's in their best interest to void the 1099-MISC and issue a correct W-2.

If your employer won't budge:

1. Enter the unreported tips as explained below. TurboTax will automatically create Form 4137, Tax on Unreported Tip Income.
  2. Finish your return as usual, but do not e-file it. It must be paper-filed by mail.
  3. Create an explanatory letter for the IRS. Your letter should mention that:
    • You reported the correct tips to your employer;
    • Your employer didn't include the full amount of tips on a W-2, issuing a Form 1099-MISC instead;
    • Your employer refused to issue a correct W-2;
    • You have entered your earnings on your tax return as if a W-2 had been issued;
    • You kept records of your tips.
  4. Include the letter with your return when you mail it to the IRS. (Be sure to keep a copy of the letter with your tip records and a copy of your tax return.)

The IRS will then contact your employer about collecting payroll taxes and perhaps discuss penalties for failure to report employee tips.

You want to do this because if the IRS finds out you have income not reported on the tax return you signed, they'll come to you for additional taxes and penalties.

Note on entering income if employer will not issue Form W-2:

This is highly unusual advice, but since you will be mailing your return to the IRS with an explanatory letter, I am comfortable giving this advice.

• Do not enter the Form 1099-MISC on your tax return.
  • Using the employer's information from the 1099-MISC and the earnings amount from Box 7, enter the information into TurboTax as if it were from a W-2. The Box 7 amount from the 1099-MISC becomes the amount entered in BOXES 1, 3, AND 5 for the W-2.
  • If federal income tax was withheld by your employer, and reported on the 1099-MISC, enter that in Box 2 for the W-2. Leave Boxes 4 and 6 blank. Select Continue at the bottom.
  • Continue until you reach the Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W-2? screen. Check the box for Unreported tips and select Continue.
  • On the Tips Not Reported to (employer name) screen, answer the question about your tips.
  • On the Enter Any Tips You Didn't Report to (employer name) screen, enter the amount of your tips.
  • Complete your tax return, review it, print, sign, and mail, with the letter described above.

mary le
Returning Member

1099 misc, meaning is that your an independent contractor. You reported the tips on other income on your tax return 1040. And you also can deduct expense incurred. Some fine it to be more beneficial 

bidnit
Returning Member

i'm not sure that this answers my question

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@bidnit what is your question? I do not see it in this thread and could not find you in a search. The 1099 MISC is very different this year due to the new 1099-NEC.

The 1099-NEC is for each person to whom the taxpayer has paid at least $600 during the course of a business for the following.

•Services performed by someone who is not an employee, including parts and materials (box 1),

•Cash payments for fish (or other aquatic life) purchased from anyone engaged in the trade or business of catching fish (box 1), or

•Payments to an attorney for legal services (box 1).

The Form 1099-MISC is for each person to whom the taxpayer has paid the following during the course of a trade or business.

•At least $10 in royalties or broker payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest,

•At least $600 in rents (box 1), prizes and awards (box 3), other income payments (box 3), the cash paid from a notional principal contract to an individual, partnership, or estate (box 3), any fishing boat proceeds (box 5), medical and health care payments (box 6), crop insurance proceeds (box 9), payments to an attorney (box 10), IRC section 409A deferrals (box 12), or nonqualified deferred compensation (box 14).

•Any payment from which federal income tax has been withheld (box 4) under the backup withholding rules

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies