dklny2003

I received a 1099-Misc for paid family leave. Does this involve work that's my main job? Does this involve intent to earn money?

Cindy0H

This is not self-employment income nor does it involve an intent to earn money. You are going to enter as follows:

Reporting 1099-MISC (box 3 or box 7) that is not self-employment income

• Wages & Income tab (or Personal Income tab) 
  • Other Common Income and elect to start/update Income from form 1099-MISC. Then click YES to indicate you have a 1099-MISC.
  • Enter the 1099-MISC exactly as printed, and then Continue.
  • Enter the reason you got this money – paid family leave
  • Select None of these apply, then Continue.
  • Select No, it didn’t involve work….. and Continue.
  • Select ONLY the tax year for which this specific 1099-MISC was issued. Do not select the year that you received the 1099. Select the year for which the 1099-MISC was issued. Select no other year. Then Continue.
  • Select No, it didn’t involve an intent to earn money, then Continue.
  • Select NO, then Continue. 
  • Click the DONE button.

nystaxpayer

adamvanden

PFL IN NY IS NOT SUBJECT TO FICA, FUTA OR SUTA.  HOW CAN I BE SURE THAT THESE TAXES ARE NOT TAKEN FROM MY PFL INCOME LISTED IN THE 1099-MISC?

LenaH

Please follow the instructions listed above by CindyOH so your 1099-MISC will not flow to a Schedule C and not be subject to self-employment tax. FUTA and SUTA are paid by the employer and would not be assessed on your return. 

• Select NO, then Continue. 
  • Click the DONE button.

Using the method above, your 1099-MISC will flow to Other Income on your tax return. 

@adamvanden