cmcelwrath

I received a 1099-MISC for a full-time internship. I am now employed by the same company that I was interning with. Should I have received a W2 instead of a 1099-MISC?

IsabellaG

It's very possible that this should have been reported on a W-2, and that the employer should have withheld taxes from your pay. See this link for different scenarios: https://www.eitc.irs.gov/Tax-Preparer-Toolkit/sctraining/1099scenarios.

Since they issued you a 1099-MISC instead, your current employer treated you as a self-employed contractor for that period of time. You'll have to decide whether to report it the same way, or to indicate that your employer should have issued a W-2. The IRS will contact your employer, and there could be penalties for not treating you correctly as an employee.

You would follow the prompts in TurboTax for reporting the 1099-MISC as income that should have been reported on a W-2, starting with the screen Does one of these uncommon situations apply?