Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I put on my taxes that I hadnt received my second stimulus check, but I just looked on the IRS website and it says it will be mailed the 5th. What do I do?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

I put on my taxes that I hadnt received my second stimulus check, but I just looked on the IRS website and it says it will be mailed the 5th. What do I do?

If you receive your stimulus payment around February 5th and you e-filed your return, you won't be able to change it. It's like putting a letter in the mailbox. You can't retrieve it.

• You'll have to wait until the IRS accepts or rejects your return.
  • The IRS has announced that they will begin accepting and processing 2020 individual tax returns on February 12, 2021.

If your return gets rejected, you'll be able to correct the stimulus payment and submit the corrected return.

If your return gets accepted:

• The IRS may correct your return for the stimulus payment in which case you don't have to amend your return.
  • If the IRS does not correct your return for the stimulus payment, you'll have to amend your income tax return.
  • NOTE: At this time, you're not able to amend a 2020 income tax return. Check the forms availability to see the date you'll be able to amend.

Note: The stimulus money is not taxable income to you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

For now, do nothing.   The IRS has the authority to treat errors with the stimulus payment as mathematical errors, which means they can correct them without needing to send letters or ask for an amended return.  Of course, we won't know how they actually handle this situation until tax processing gets going.  I suspect that it will delay your refund, though, if your return gets kicked out of the automated system and has to be reviewed by a person. Wait and see if they reduce your refund or send a letter or do something else. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies