Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I purchased the desktop version of TurboTax and did my whole return. I owe $, so I was waiting until April to actually file it. Now when I go back there's no record

It seems like there are a lot of TurboTax files stored on my computer (i.e., the info I entered is not "gone") but I can't access it.  What can I do to avoid having to re-do the whole thing?  The "Intuit Assist" won't connect me to a person since it doesn't think I have an active return.  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I purchased the desktop version of TurboTax and did my whole return. I owe $, so I was waiting until April to actually file it. Now when I go back there's no record

First things First...if you are in a web browser, you are in the wrong spot.

Second:  Start up your "Desktop" software by clicking on the TTX icon for "TurboTax 2023"

Your prior-prepared file should show up immediately as a selection to "Continue"

IF it doesn't, go to the upper-left corner "File" menu item and select "Open Tax Return" from the drop-down menu.  Youi can then browse to the location where you already know your files are saved......file should end in ".tax2023"    (but not any file starting with a "~" .  That should only be used in an emergency...it's a temp backup)

Once you've opened your file, do an immediate "save" so that the file's location is saved into the main program. 

TTX shouldn't lose track of it unless you move it yourself.  There are occasional problems with folks who save their files directly on a cloud drive, or off computer USB-connected disk, so only save it on your main system's hard drive.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Another way to open your Tax Return is by navigating to the folder where your tax return is saved and with the mouse double-click the file name ending in .tax2023 or right-click it, then select the option "open with..." and then select Turbo Tax. Right Click ".tax2023"Right Click ".tax2023"Select TurboTaxSelect TurboTax

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies