Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

twern9565

I purchased the CD version at the store thinking it would give me a code to use online. How can I switch it over to the online version

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I purchased the CD version at the store thinking it would give me a code to use online. How can I switch it over to the online version

The desktop program and online program are completely different; they have different capabilities and pricing models.  You will probably pay more to file online unless you qualify to file for free.  Read below for more details.

The CD product has a 60 day money back guarantee, if you can't get a refund at the store, see the bottom for a link to the guarantee claim form.

Here are the differences between the CD product (desktop) and the Online program. 

Turbotax online is a different product from Turbotax Desktop (which comes as a download or CD to install on your own computer).  They have different prices and different capabilities.  The key differences are:

1. Most Turbotax desktop products include one free state module.   With turbotax online, each state is $35 extra. (With turbotax desktop, e-filing a state return is an extra fee in most states, but it is still cheaper in the end than the online product.  Or, you can avoid the fee by mailing your state return.) Make sure your box says Turbotax Deluxe Federal + Efile + State. Some boxed copies are sold without the free state. 

2. Turbotax desktop allows direct access to all forms and worksheets. This is good for troubleshooting, error checking, and making manual adjustments in rare cases where they are needed.  Turbotax online hides the forms and worksheets, and only allows you see them after you pay.  The worksheets and forms are never directly editable.

3. Turbotax desktop version Deluxe and higher all include schedule C for self-employment, schedule D for investments and schedule E for rentals.  The higher priced versions have more help and support, but the forms are available in the lower priced versions if you know what to look for.  With turbotax online, you must upgrade to Premier or Self-Employed to get those forms.

4. With turbotax online, each tax return requires a separate user account and password and will charge a separate fee.  Turbotax desktop can prepare an unlimited number of tax returns, with e-filing allowed for the first 5, all for the same initial price for the CD or download.  (Each state e-file has a separate e-filing fee, but you can avoid that if you prefer to mail your state return.)  Each return is in a separate document like having different Word or Excel documents.  This allows to you prepare test returns for tax planning, or to prepare returns for family and friends (use of Turbotax by paid preparers is a violation of the license and of IRS regulations.)

5. With Turbotax online, your tax return is stored on Turbotax’s servers (in the “cloud”); with the desktop program, only you have copies.  It can’t be hacked as easily, but you are responsible for your own backups and security.

6. Turbotax online can only be purchased directly from Turbotax. Discounts are not always available and the price goes up the closer you get to April 15.  Turbotax Desktop can be purchased as a download from several discount retailers (like Staples and Amazon) and the CD can be bought from many more (including Target, Walmart, Costco, Best Buy); and usually at a significant discount compared to the Turbotax direct price.  (But avoid web sites you've never heard of, they are probably selling pirated or infected copies.)

7. Turbotax Online offers Live help from a CPA (by chat) for an extra fee.  This is not available with the desktop program. 

The Satisfaction Guaranteed policy and claim form are here.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301962

Level 1

I purchased the deluxe prog will not download

Level 1

my state program  will not download

I purchased TurboTax Deluxe With Federal Returns + Federal E-File State Returns from Sams .I entered the license code but never got the download.

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

To help get you connected to the right person for assistance, please click the link below. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies