Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cdh9400t

I purchased a qualifying biomass stove in 2016. how can I enter it on my taxes to get the $300 deduction. I have been under the home energy tab, but this is not there.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I purchased a qualifying biomass stove in 2016. how can I enter it on my taxes to get the $300 deduction. I have been under the home energy tab, but this is not there.

NOTE:  See the detailed info I pasted in the comment following this answer about the 2 types of residential energy credits for 2016. 

When you go through the home energy section, it will ask you several questions such as asking if you are the only owner of the house, if it's new construction or not, etc., then you will finally arrive at a screen called

"Tell Us How Much You Paid for Energy-Saving Improvements"    (see screen image below)

• Scroll down to "Energy Efficient Building Property".
  • Click the blue "Learn More" link.
  • Read the info there to see if that describes your biomass stove.
  • If so, enter your cost there.

Also see the instructions to Form 5695.  You can text search the document for "biomass" for instructions on how to claim the credit.
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5695.pdf

Also see:
https://www.energystar.gov/about/federal_tax_credits/biomass_stoves

And:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899863-can-i-claim-energy-efficient-appliances-or-energy-saving-h...

View solution in original post

3 Replies

NOTE:  See the detailed info I pasted in the comment following this answer about the 2 types of residential energy credits for 2016. 

When you go through the home energy section, it will ask you several questions such as asking if you are the only owner of the house, if it's new construction or not, etc., then you will finally arrive at a screen called

"Tell Us How Much You Paid for Energy-Saving Improvements"    (see screen image below)

• Scroll down to "Energy Efficient Building Property".
  • Click the blue "Learn More" link.
  • Read the info there to see if that describes your biomass stove.
  • If so, enter your cost there.

Also see the instructions to Form 5695.  You can text search the document for "biomass" for instructions on how to claim the credit.
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5695.pdf

Also see:
https://www.energystar.gov/about/federal_tax_credits/biomass_stoves

And:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899863-can-i-claim-energy-efficient-appliances-or-energy-saving-h...

@cdh9400t
This info is from the popup help info in the TurboTax program:

Also be aware that the Residential Energy Credits for 2016 consist of the nonbusiness energy property credit and the residential property credit.  You could qualify for both credits.

Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit  
equals 10 percent of what a homeowner spends on eligible energy-saving improvements , up to a maximum tax credit of $500 for the combined years since 2006. The cost of certain high-efficiency heating and air conditioning systems, water heaters and stoves that burn biomass all qualify, along with labor costs for installing these items.

In addition, the cost of energy-efficient windows and skylights, energy-efficient doors, qualifying insulation and certain roofs also qualify for the credit, though the cost of installing these items does not count. By spending as little as $5,000 before the end of the year on eligible energy-saving improvements, a homeowner can save as much as $500 on his or her 2016 federal income tax return.

Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit
Homeowners going green should also check out a second tax credit designed to spur investment in alternative energy equipment. The residential energy efficient property credit, equals 30 percent of what a homeowner spends on qualifying property such as solar electric systems, solar hot water heaters, geothermal heat pumps, wind turbines, and fuel cell property. Generally, labor costs are included when calculating this credit. Also, no cap exists on the amount of credit available except in the case of fuel cell property. Qualified fuel cell property is limited to $500 for each one-half kilowatt of capacity of the property.

Not all energy-efficient improvements qualify for these tax credits. For that reason, homeowners should check the manufacturer's tax credit certification statement before purchasing or installing any of these improvements. The certification statement can usually be found on the manufacturer's website or with the product packaging. Normally, a homeowner can rely on this certification. The IRS cautions that the manufacturer's certification is different from the Department of Energy's Energy Star label, and not all Energy Star labeled products qualify for the tax credits.

Eligible homeowners can claim both of the residential energy credits when they file their federal income tax return. Because these are credits, not deductions, they increase a taxpayer's refund or reduce the tax he or she owes.
Anita01

You would find this product included under Energy efficient Building Materials in the program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies