Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I owe on my federal return. I still owe money from 2021 which is set up as a payment plan. Can i add the 2022 taxes due to that payment plan?

Or do I need to request a new payment plan?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I owe on my federal return. I still owe money from 2021 which is set up as a payment plan. Can i add the 2022 taxes due to that payment plan?

I just now ran into that and Turbo Tax advised me in the processing dialog.  I have to pay 2022 taxes.  I did this once before back in 2004.  I was able to ask for an installment plan and was accepted.  However in your case, if you already have a current payment plan going and you may not be able to get concurrent one for 2022 taxes owed..  There's a five year limit between successive payment plans.  Sorry for the bad news.  However, you can actually call the IRS to help you.  Never hurts to ask.  I called them back in 2004 and the process was easy and they were friendly.  I owed $5,000 and paid it back in 10 months.  I owe less for 2022 but since it's been over five years since a previous payment plan I should be OK.  Good luck!

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

You will have to set up a new payment plan if you are doing it through the program..

You can request an amendment to your existing installment agreement by: Calling the IRS at 1-800-829-7650. Visiting a local IRS office. Completing Form 9465 with information about both the original agreement balance and the expected new balance.

If you already have an installment agreement and you also expect to owe taxes for the current year, you must act quickly to request a change to your existing installment agreement. Once a new tax balance is assessed by the IRS, you will be considered in default of the current agreement.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies