Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arnabde03

I owe money to IRS and I also a penalty, but my "total taxes owed" amount shown in Turbo Tax does not include the penalty. Will the penalty be deducted automatically?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I owe money to IRS and I also a penalty, but my "total taxes owed" amount shown in Turbo Tax does not include the penalty. Will the penalty be deducted automatically?

What line are you looking at?   Look at line 37 on your Form 1040.  That is the amount you need to pay by April 18, 2023.

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JulieS
Expert Alumni

It depends on which penalty you owe. If it is an underpayment penalty showing on line 38 of Form 1040, then yes, it is included in you total tax due. 

If you chose to "Have the IRS bill me later" in the underpayment penalty section, then no, the penalty is not included in your total. 

If this doesn't fully answer your question, please respond back with more details of the type of penalty. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
arnabde03

Thanks for your reply. Does the line 37 include the penalty mentioned in line 38?

arnabde03

Yes, this is an underpayment penalty showing on line 38. Is it included in the total amount due showing on line 37? 

I don't think I chose "Have the IRS bill me later". How can I confirm it?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Line 24 minus Line 33 would be the amount due. If your line 37 matches your math answer, the penalty was not included. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies