Solved: I owe federal $2,671. I'm getting refund from state $620. Why does it ask me if I want to apply my $620 refund to my estimated 2017 taxes??

I owe federal $2,671. I'm getting refund from state $620. Why does it ask me if I want to apply my $620 refund to my estimated 2017 taxes??

I either want my refund or they can subtract from what I owe federal but I don't want it applied to 2017 taxes.

Just answer "no" to that question (or ignore it, if a response isn't required).  There's always the option to carry forward refund amounts; some folks do it, most don't. They won't apply that state refund to your federal taxes, so this question doesn't apply to you.