Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I never put through my 2019 all the way. I finished and saved on here, but I got up to the pay for self employed part and didn't put it thought a while ago. What to do?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I never put through my 2019 all the way. I finished and saved on here, but I got up to the pay for self employed part and didn't put it thought a while ago. What to do?

How do I finish a prior-year return that I started in TurboTax Online?

If you started your 2017, 2018, or 2019 return in TurboTax Online but weren't able to file it before the shutdown, you can finish and paper-file it in the TurboTax download software for PC or Mac.

Start by purchasing and downloading the software and install it on your computer. If you're also filing a state, be sure to download and install the corresponding state program (PC instructions | Mac instructions).

1. Now sign in at TurboTax.com using the same login you used to prepare your prior-year return.
    • If you don't remember it, try account recovery. Still no luck? Then just start over in the TurboTax software you downloaded and skip the rest of these instructions.
  2. Under Your tax returns & documents, select Download .tax file (not the PDF) for the prior year you want and save it to your computer.
  3. Back in the CD/download software, select Find a Tax File, and then browse to the tax data file you downloaded in the previous step.
  4. Select the file and click Open.
  5. You can now finish up in the software. Your return will need to be paper-filed, as e-filing prior years is no longer available.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-...

View solution in original post

2 Replies

How do I finish a prior-year return that I started in TurboTax Online?

If you started your 2017, 2018, or 2019 return in TurboTax Online but weren't able to file it before the shutdown, you can finish and paper-file it in the TurboTax download software for PC or Mac.

Start by purchasing and downloading the software and install it on your computer. If you're also filing a state, be sure to download and install the corresponding state program (PC instructions | Mac instructions).

1. Now sign in at TurboTax.com using the same login you used to prepare your prior-year return.
    • If you don't remember it, try account recovery. Still no luck? Then just start over in the TurboTax software you downloaded and skip the rest of these instructions.
  2. Under Your tax returns & documents, select Download .tax file (not the PDF) for the prior year you want and save it to your computer.
  3. Back in the CD/download software, select Find a Tax File, and then browse to the tax data file you downloaded in the previous step.
  4. Select the file and click Open.
  5. You can now finish up in the software. Your return will need to be paper-filed, as e-filing prior years is no longer available.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-...

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

To complete filing your 2019 income tax return, see How do I finish a prior-year return that I started in TurboTax Online?

Per IRS: If you haven’t filed your federal income tax return for this year or for previous years, you should file your return as soon as possible regardless of your reason for not filing the required return. 

If your return wasn't filed by the due date (including extensions of time to file):

• You may be subject to the failure-to-file penalty, unless you have reasonable cause for your failure to file timely.
  • Tax not paid in full by the original due date of the return (regardless of extensions of time to file) may also result in the failure-to-pay penalty. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies