Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eb1099

I need to speak with someone. regarding the form 8379 injured spouse i tried looking it up in turbo tax but it keeps redirecting me to the innocent spouse form.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

I need to speak with someone. regarding the form 8379 injured spouse i tried looking it up in turbo tax but it keeps redirecting me to the innocent spouse form.

The innocent spouse and injured spouse forms are handled in the same interview -- just don't make any entries on the innocent spouse screens.  The injured spouse screens will follow.

Please follow these steps to complete Form 8379, for injured spouse relief: 

1. Click on Federal Taxes > Other Tax Situations  [In TT Self-EmployedPersonal > Other Tax Situations]
  2. Scroll down to the Other Tax Forms section and click on the Start/Update box next to Report an injured or innocent spouse claim   
  3. On the Innocent or Injured Spouse Relief screen, click on the Yes box. 
  4. Don't make any entries on the next 2 screens -- just click Continue.  [They apply to Innocent Spouse Relief.]
  5. On the screen Let's See if You Qualify for Injured Spouse Relief, mark the appropriate state box and click Continue
  6. On the screen, Tell Us More About Your Situation, mark the appropriate boxes and click Continue 
  7. On the next screen, mark whether you reported your own federal tax withheld on the joint return.
  8. The next screen will tell you if you qualify for injured spouse relief.  Mark the radio button to indicate whether you want to file this claim with your 2018 tax return and click Continue.  [You can either file form 8379 along with your tax return, or you can mail it in separately]   
  9. Continue through the rest of the interview, entering the requested information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
eb1099

my wife and i need to fill out this form, the software is saying we don't qualify but we do if we don't submit the forms the refund will be taken for my student loan she is the injured spouse, this is why i need to speak to someone.

Does your spouse have enough independent income and credits that she would get a refund of her own if file a separate return rather that a joint return.    Injured spouse, only protects the spouses refund amount from being taken, but is the spouse would not otherwise qualify for a refund, the  injured spouse relief will not apply.  (in a community property state then  the community part of the spouse refund can be taken anyway.)
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies