turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

blancaostrovsky
Returning Member

I need to reload the turbo tax CD into a new computer, and save the file with the filed returns for 2018. Will it reload all the updates?

My computer crashed, so I used a friend's computer to file my taxes. I want to save it in my new computer.
I have the CD, but without the updates. How do I proceed?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I need to reload the turbo tax CD into a new computer, and save the file with the filed returns for 2018. Will it reload all the updates?

You need the file ending in .tax2018 to open in the program.  Did you get the program installed again ok?  After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW TAX RETURN)

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

You can install the CD on your new computer and can run the program updater after installing to get the latest updates.

IMPORTANT:  You'll also need to move the *.tax2018 data file from the friend's computer to your new computer, and hang on to it.  You may wish to back it up to some external device/media for safekeeping, too.  Guard it carefully against hacking or theft, since it contains all your personal into and possibly banking info, etc.

If you want to open the data file, and if your *.tax2018 data file has a state return in it, you'll need to download your state program into your  2018 software before opening the data file, or might show an error message.   To do that, you may have to start a new fake return just long enough to download the state program.

If you haven't already installed your CD program onto your new computer, here are recommended installation steps:

You must install using Administrator privilege.
First manually disconnect your computer from the Internet so you can safely temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall software programs.
Close any other open programs.
If installing from a downloaded installation file, then double-click the file to start the install process, and skip the CD steps.
If installing from a CD, insert the CD and the installation should launch.  If it doesn't start installing automatically, then here's how to launch it:

Hold down the Windows+R keys to open the Run window.
      Click Browse, and then navigate to the TurboTax CD on your CD/DVD/RW drive (usually Drive D).
      Double-click the setup.exe file.
      Click OK to launch the installer.

After installing, be sure to re-enable your antivirus and firewall programs before connecting  your computer back up to the Internet.
Reboot (restart) your computer.
Launch TurboTax and run the program updater.

How do I reload TT Deluxe into new computer WITHOUT CD?  Will need to see if TT and returns was part of recovered data from failed HDD.

perthtax

I had to run a full update to my PC, but it removed both my Turbotax  2020 and 2019. I have the CD's and licenses, username, and password, but it won't load  when I try to download to prepare for 2021.

HELPppppppp!!

Thank you,

Confused and Frustrated in Modesto.

Manage cookies