Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need help with my W2 because I cannot get it from my previous employer, which yes I have called

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I need help with my W2 because I cannot get it from my previous employer, which yes I have called

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you did not receive your 2020 W-2 from your employer, go to the following link on the IRS web site for instructions on what to do.

IRS Can Help Taxpayers Get Form W-2

You might have difficulty reaching the IRS by phone. They have been extremely overloaded this year. If you cannot get them on the phone, skip to the next step and file your tax return with Form 4852.

If you end up needing to file Form 4852, you can prepare it in TurboTax and it will be included in your tax return. You do not have to use the Form 4852 that the IRS sends you.

Here's how to create a Form 4852 in TurboTax. On the screen in TurboTax where you enter your W-2 information, enter your best estimates of the correct information. After you click Continue on the W-2 entry screen, you will get a screen that says "Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W-2?" (There might be some other questions about your W-2 information before you get to this screen.) One of the boxes says "Substitute form - I didn't get a W-2 from my employer and need to complete a substitute form." Put a check in that box and click Continue. The next screen asks if you want to complete Form 4852. Click Yes. Proceed through the screens, entering the requested information to complete Form 4852. It will ask you to enter an explanation of how you calculated the amounts that you entered, and an explanation of what you did to try to get a correct W-2 from your employer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies