angkorchris

I made a little over 7k annually, but i was withheld 1108 from federal inc tax should i file my income tax and will this also exempt me From the health insurance penalty

Does having made less thab 10k exempt me from needing to have medical insurance?

Coleen3

Yes, you should file to get your withholding back. You are exempt if you make less than the filing requirement for your filing status.

The Gross income requirements for each filing status (If your income is below these, you don't need to file.)

• Single: $10,300 if under age 65. $11,900 if 65 and older.
  • Married filing jointly: $20,700 if both under 65. ...
  • Married filing separately -- $4,050 at any age.
  • Qualifying widow(er) with a dependent child: $16,650 if under 65. ...
  • Head of household: $13,350 if under 65.

The IRS increases the standard deduction amount for taxpayers who are 65 or older by the end of the tax year. As a consequence, the income threshold you use to evaluate whether you should file a tax return increases by $1,000. If your 65th birthday falls on January 1, you can take the larger standard deduction for the prior tax year since the IRS treats you as being 65 on December 31.

Coleen3