Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m trying to admen my tax’s to add my son he was born this year and we could use the stimulus child tax checks going out please what do I do ?

It will not add him
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I’m trying to admen my tax’s to add my son he was born this year and we could use the stimulus child tax checks going out please what do I do ?

A child born in 2021 cannot be entered as a dependent on a 2020 tax return.

You will be able to add the child as a dependent on the 2021 tax return to be filed next year.  The 2021 tax return should have a section for requesting the third stimulus payment for the dependent born in 2021.

If he was born in 2021 you can not enter him on a 2020 return.  He goes on next year's return.

We don't know how the IRS will handle it.  They might setup a portal so you can update your info.

New 2021 3rd Stimulus payment, Unemployment and Child Tax Credit (scroll way down)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/00/1393859

The new Child Tax Credit is for 2021, next year, when  you file 2021 tax.    It also raises the cut off age from 17 to 18 and makes the credit $3,600 for a child under age 6.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies