Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm so confused. when filing my taxes i added my elderly mom & sister as dependents. well when i added then it says they qualified and then later said they didnt. HELP!

when i later go the deductions & credits section and under child and other dependent tax credit it says " It turns out you don't qualify for these credits" so im confused and dont want to continue to file my taxes if there is a error.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I'm so confused. when filing my taxes i added my elderly mom & sister as dependents. well when i added then it says they qualified and then later said they didnt. HELP!

If you claimed  an adult dependent you get the $500 credit for other dependents.  You do not mention your sister's age so we do not know if she is a child or an adult.  But the "child and dependent care credit" is a credit you can get if you paid someone to take care of your dependent so you could work.  Did you pay for some sort of care for you dependent so you could work?  

Do you see the Credit for Other Dependents on line 19 of your Form 1040?  It is a non-refundable credit that can lower your tax owed.

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

CREDIT FOR OTHER DEPENDENTS

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies