Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m so close to finishing up my taxes but at the end it’s asking me to fill out a 8889-T form which I do not have never received how do I skip this form. I’ve never had this issue befor

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I’m so close to finishing up my taxes but at the end it’s asking me to fill out a 8889-T form which I do not have never received how do I skip this form. I’ve never had this issue befor

You do not receive form 8889; instead it is generated by TurboTax based on your input.

The 8889 reports on activity in your Health Savings Account (HSA). If you do not have an HSA, please delete your HSA information in the return by doing the following:

The safest - although brute force - way to fix this is to do the following in this order:

1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)

2. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen

*** Desktop***

3. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

3. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

4. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, and 8889-S (if one)

5. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

6. go back and redo the entire HSA interview or just continue your return.

NOTE: If you do not have an HSA and see the question "What type of High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) did [name] have on December 1, 2017?", then answer "None" because this question does not apply to you. Answering "Family" or "Self" tricks TurboTax into thinking that you have an HSA.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You do not receive form 8889; instead it is generated by TurboTax based on your input.

The 8889 reports on activity in your Health Savings Account (HSA). If you do not have an HSA, please delete your HSA information in the return by doing the following:

The safest - although brute force - way to fix this is to do the following in this order:

1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)

2. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen

*** Desktop***

3. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

3. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

4. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, and 8889-S (if one)

5. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

6. go back and redo the entire HSA interview or just continue your return.

NOTE: If you do not have an HSA and see the question "What type of High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) did [name] have on December 1, 2017?", then answer "None" because this question does not apply to you. Answering "Family" or "Self" tricks TurboTax into thinking that you have an HSA.

SJCJD

I have the same issue. I followed the suggestions here. I still cannot bypass. Any other suggestions? It there a phone number to call? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies