Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m not receiving a federal return and can’t afford the $193 filing fee today can I get an extension?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RalphH1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

I’m not receiving a federal return and can’t afford the $193 filing fee today can I get an extension?

You definitely can file an extension, and it’s free with TurboTax Easy Extension (here), which guides you through the process for both federal and state. (Or you could do it the old school way, and mail a Form 4868 to the IRS, as this TurboTax article mentions.) 

Please note that it’s an extension of time to file your return, but not of time to pay any tax liability. I’m assuming you have one (since you said you don’t have a refund), and unfortunately penalties and interest start the day after the deadline (so tomorrow). If the tax is very small though (which I hope is the case), then a few days or even weeks may not make a big difference...

@jandur1971, if the extension somehow turns out not to be easy (which is unlikely), be sure to re-post here with any questions you have!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RalphH1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

You definitely can file an extension, and it’s free with TurboTax Easy Extension (here), which guides you through the process for both federal and state. (Or you could do it the old school way, and mail a Form 4868 to the IRS, as this TurboTax article mentions.) 

Please note that it’s an extension of time to file your return, but not of time to pay any tax liability. I’m assuming you have one (since you said you don’t have a refund), and unfortunately penalties and interest start the day after the deadline (so tomorrow). If the tax is very small though (which I hope is the case), then a few days or even weeks may not make a big difference...

@jandur1971, if the extension somehow turns out not to be easy (which is unlikely), be sure to re-post here with any questions you have!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies