Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the process of transitioning jobs and will lose health insurance for about a week. If I go without, would this affect my federal or West Virginia tax refund?

While transitioning between jobs, I have recently found out that my current employer ends all benefits on the day of separation. They forced me to resign earlier than I anticipated, due to a holiday coming up and them not wanting to issue pay for that holiday. This is the first time I'm in this position, since all my previous employers continued coverage until the end of the month. I was told that I can get coverage under COBRA, but it's going to be extremely expensive. The health insurance provided by the new job will not start until a week later. While I understand that there are certain financial risks of not having health insurance for a week, I need to know whether not having health insurance for the week of transition would affect my Federal Refund under the ACA or another federal mandate. I also need to know if my current state of West Virginia has any tax-relevant health insurance mandates.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm in the process of transitioning jobs and will lose health insurance for about a week. If I go without, would this affect my federal or West Virginia tax refund?

There is no requirement to report health care coverage on a federal tax return unless you have insurance through one of the state Marketplace Exchanges or through healthcare.gov and receive a Form 1095-A.

There is no requirement to report health care coverage on a West Virginia state income tax return.

So your lapse in coverage is not an issue for either the federal or state tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

There is no requirement to report health care coverage on a federal tax return unless you have insurance through one of the state Marketplace Exchanges or through healthcare.gov and receive a Form 1095-A.

There is no requirement to report health care coverage on a West Virginia state income tax return.

So your lapse in coverage is not an issue for either the federal or state tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies