If you are a US citizen or resident who earned wages overseas, you will enter it under the Foreign Earned Income section in the program. See instructions below. If you lived in UK for at least 330 days during 12 consecutive months, you might be able to exclude your foreign income from your taxes. For more information, see Foreign income and exclusion and Extension. For tax year of 2016, the maximum foreign earned income exclusion amount is $101,300.
To enter your UK earned income / foreign income exclusion in TurboTax Self-Employed online program:
1. After sign into your account, select Take me to my return
2. At the right upper corner, in the search box , type in foreign income and Enter
3. Select Jump to foreign income
4. Next screen, Did You Make Any Money Outside the United States? answer Yes
5. On screen, What Form(s) Was Foreign Income Reported On ? check the third box A statement from my foreign employer (could be cash)and continue to proceed
-As you are going through the step-by-step interview questions in the program, if you qualify for the exclusion, your income will not be included on your tax return and the Form 2555 will be removed. If you do not qualify, your foreign income will be added as your taxable wages to line 7 of your Form 1040
-After the exclusion, if you paid taxes to both UK and US government on the same amount of any income, you may qualify to claim a foreign tax credit by filing a Form 1116. See instructions below.
To enter form 1116, foreign tax credit :
1. After sign into your account, select the orange buttonTake me to my return
2. At the right upper corner, in the search box , type in foreign tax credit and Enter
3. Select the 1st choice on the search results - Jump to foreign tax credit
4. Start with screen Foreign Taxes and select Continue to follow prompts.
See attached screenshots.