Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dcs2016

How can I submit a suggestion for improving Turbo Tax?

I’ve searched and there doesn’t seem to be an easy online way to submit suggestions...
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

111 Replies
MicheleR

You can provide feedback directly in the software after completing your return or title your question "Feedback" in the forum and one of our Moderators will gather the feedback you post for you.

aps-snell

I'm afraid I couldn't find the "Feedback" feature within the software, so I'm posting some feedback here in hopes in reaches the TT team. The 2018/2019 string of "Free free free" TurboTax commercials is highly misleading because if you have *any* semi-special requirements for filing federal taxes (i.e. you have investment accounts, you have more than one W2, you changed states, you earned income in more than one state, etc.) the service is NOT free, and these types of situations apply to the majority of TT customers. I have filed with TT for six years, so I am willing to pay for the service; however, I find these commercials distasteful from a company I otherwise trust and respect. While I always have to cough up an absurd amount of money to file with TT each year, I do it because I trust the service. As a loyal customer, I'd rather see TT emphasize the high quality services it offers in an honest and fair way rather than have me listen to people say "Free" ten times when I've literally never been able to file with TT for free. Thank you for passing this feedback along, feel free to contact me via email should you have any follow up questions.
wingram96

I also have used TT for many years and my return is simple, no investments, only wage yet because i dont qualify for  EIC it says i cant use the free side either. My income is less then 40k, no itemizing, this would have been a 1040a form. Last year my income was even higher and paid less, this year they have drove me away and i wont be using them next year. Nor will i be encouraging anyone else to use this service.  Last year i tolerated the cost as it was lower all due to loyalty. Again proof a large company alienating their customer base by raising their price.
 [[ PII e-mail...removed from this PUBLIC website]]

Suggestion for Turbotax 1: have feedback easy to find because I am forced to post here because I could not find it. 2. Do not state that something is free if in the fineprint you state that it will be deducted from the refund=that does not mean free. 3. Under the part where you say client can click to save/print etc tax forms do not place those boxes under "update any incorrect information" it is confusing. Place those boxes under the line that says print. Otherwise the assumption is that by clicking on those boxes it will take one back to fix something that does not need to be fixed. Later when one is looking to print they can't find it and don't know why Turbotax won't give it. Taxes are stressful enough without the unnecessary confusion. 4. Have some explanation on certain choices, especially regarding the fees involved in one choice over another. I know from experience that doing direct deposit you will charge us, but you do not explain that until after one has already clicked on the option. It makes for a lot of back and forth that does not need to be. Thank you!
prumurphy

Agree, not possible to find any place to provide feedback on the very auto-tronic Intuit website that seems to avoid allowing customer contact with a human.  My feedback is that I went through all the trouble to input potential itemized deductions, only to find out that the standard deduction was higher.  However, nowhere did TurboTax tell me the total of my potentially deductible itemized deductions.  It would be helpful if TurboTax had a worksheet to show this calculation so that the user can evaluate the result and understand it, especially in a new tax law year.  It would also help the user make sure they did not make a data input error.  I had to manually figure it out, which is just silly.  

For people submitting form 8889 with an HSA account, please include a field for us to enter withdrawals. That doesn't appear anywhere during the walk-through but when all contributions are entered, the final screen reads "withdrawals -0-." Fingers crossed that it doesn't flag an audit.

I am very disappointed in TurboTax this year, I feel that I was tricked into spending $100 for something that I could fill out on my own in nearly the same amount of time.  If it hadn't forced me to upgrade until I was one step away from filing I would have 100% used a different service.  I only paid this because otherwise I would have to redo all of the work I had just completed.  You have just lost a recurring customer.
Gr8falz13

Suggestion/Feedback 2018 Turbo Tax Product.  1) The program asks me every year to track my IRA Basis, of course I want it to, one of the few things that the program can help with!  However every year it wants me to recreate my 30 plus years of IRA and Roth IRA transactions.  That irritant is enough by itself to have me considering other products for 2019.  2) The program should be able to tell from last year taxes that the standard deduction is the way for me to file based on a few update questions! This can save me all the time of loading all the other data, when i already know the STANDARD DEDUCTION IS THE WAY TO GO, ESPECIAL WITH THE NEW TAX LAW. I realize the data is requested because Intuit uses that data for other marketing purposes!!!!!  3) The program asks me if my 2017 taxes included a 6251--------I did 2017 on Turbo Tax!  Why do you ask me--why load last years data if your not using it?  4) Lastly the Intuit Montana State Program is terrible!  The last 3 years i have had to deal with the state fixing errors that Turbo Tax made----all which passed the program audit process?  Unacceptable at this point in the evolution of online Tax Programs.  Needless to say I am unsatisfied customer.
djcelf

Why can I not provide feedback BEFORE I have submitted my return? 

My feedback, at this point, has nothing to do with how much my taxes are. It has only to do with TT itself.

You can post anything here and we can pass it on to the moderator.  What is your concern?  If it's not about your tax return why do you need to give feedback before filing?

Post the details.  Maybe we can tell you why the program works a certain way or how to enter something a different way.

CFD2

I have been a customer for over 15 years and last year there were mistakes in your software the forced me to reverted back to printing and submitting a hard copy of my tax return.  This year the automated purchase feature has failed to work and I am trying to purchase a CD on-line and everytime I submit the purchase it gets rejected

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are unable to purchase a TurboTax product online and download it, first try and clear your cache and cookies or use a different browser.

To clear your cache use this TurboTax FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/how-to-clear-your-cache/00/26135

To clear your cookies use this TurboTax FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/how-do-i-delete-cookies/00/25978

If this does not solve the issue please contact our TurboTax Customer Support to assist you with the download:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't found anywhere to provide suggestions for a better Turbo Tax product.

I am using two different state tax software programs this year.  One for Iowa and Wisconsin.  As a non resident who earns Iowa income I must report my income and pay tax in Iowa and file a state return.  Iowa requires I report all my income and then on a separate form, IA126, report only income earned in Iowa.  Then a credit is calculated and subtracted from the total tax due.  The turbo tax Iowa software has a page for non resident and part year resident Credit for health insurance paid.  The only problem is there are no instructions provided on what should be entered.  The total amount of premiums appear and I guess divine intervention is assumed on what to enter.  The state instructions are very specific.  Provide a link to those instructions.  See below

Nonresidents:
a. Self-employed. Enter 100% of the health
insurance premiums paid by a self-employed
individual in the ratio of Iowa self-employment income to total self-employment income.
b. Deducted through wages. Enter 100% of the
health insurance premiums that were not withheld
from your wages on a pretax basis in the ratio of Iowa wages to total wages.
c. Paid direct by taxpayer. Multiply the health
insurance premiums that you paid by the ratio of
your Iowa-source net income on line 26 of the IA
126 to total net income on line 26 of the IA 1040.
For this net income calculation, do not include
line 18, the health insurance premium in the
above-referenced net income amounts.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@lelliott99

By "withdrawals", I assume you mean distributions, which are when you pay for qualified medical expenses from funds in your HSA.

If this is right, then these distributions are reported on form 1099-SA which is mailed to you. You are asked to enter your 1099-SA at the beginning of the HSA interview. If you didn't spend any HSA funds in 2019, then you won't get a 1099-SA in the mail. 

Note that the 1099-SA is frequently available online at your HSA custodian's website.

If, however, you meant a "withdrawal of excess contributions", then if TurboTax reports that you have excess contributions, it asks you how much you are going to withdraw before April 15th. This is where you indicate this type of "withdrawal".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies