Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dks

I'm a self-employed freelancer. Last year, my main client required that I get an EIN. The IRS says I don't need one and shouldn't use one. Will this complicate my taxes?

Now I have a 1099-Misc from them under my SS and another under my EIN.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
jtax
Level 10

I'm a self-employed freelancer. Last year, my main client required that I get an EIN. The IRS says I don't need one and shouldn't use one. Will this complicate my taxes?

I don't think it will matter as long as you report the income. Having an EIN does give you the option of using some pension plans (KEOGH). It also lets you give out your EIN instead of you SSN to clients. Since you already have it, I would suggest just being sure to enter it on your schedule C and report the income. You should be fine.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dks

Thank you

You do want an EIN because it saves you having to give your personal SSN to your clients (which is a security and identity theft risk).

Report all your income on one tax return.  It doesn't matter if some 1099s use your SSN and some use your EIN, the IRS knows that both numbers belong to you.  

dks

Thank you
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies