Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amogill

I'm a non resident alien with a job for 2018 and I'm married to a US Citizen who has no income. How do we file?

We have a 1 year old son who holds dual US/UK Citizenship. My wife holds dual US/UK citizenship. 
I was working for outside of the US during 2018 and only moved to the US in October. We married in the UK in October.

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I'm a non resident alien with a job for 2018 and I'm married to a US Citizen who has no income. How do we file?

If you are a nonresident alien, you should file a nonresident return for the 3 months you were in the US. 

TurboTax does not support nonresident or dual status returns.

However we have a partnership with Sprintax offering a nonresident/dual status tax filing solution to our TurboTax customers.

Visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site for more info or to get started.

However, there is an option to file married filing jointly as full year residents.  You and your wife would need to enter your worldwide income for calendar year 2018 (including any income you earned before arriving in the US).  The US resident return allows for more deductions and allows a foreign tax credit on income that is taxed both in the US and in another country.  If you take this option for filing, you will have to print and manually attach the following statement to your return.  You will need to mail your return.

To do this follow these steps.

1. Attach a statement to your tax return, signed by both spouses, that states that one spouse is a nonresident alien and the other is a U.S. citizen or resident alien, and you are choosing to both be treated as US residents for the tax year.

2. List the name, address and Social Security number (or Individual Taxpayer Identification number) of each spouse.

You can find more information on page 8 of the  IRS Publication 519

If you do not have a social security number, then you will need to apply for one or if you do not qualify for one, you will need to file Form W-7 to apply for an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN).

Please see the following information on applying for an ITIN.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

If you are a nonresident alien, you should file a nonresident return for the 3 months you were in the US. 

TurboTax does not support nonresident or dual status returns.

However we have a partnership with Sprintax offering a nonresident/dual status tax filing solution to our TurboTax customers.

Visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site for more info or to get started.

However, there is an option to file married filing jointly as full year residents.  You and your wife would need to enter your worldwide income for calendar year 2018 (including any income you earned before arriving in the US).  The US resident return allows for more deductions and allows a foreign tax credit on income that is taxed both in the US and in another country.  If you take this option for filing, you will have to print and manually attach the following statement to your return.  You will need to mail your return.

To do this follow these steps.

1. Attach a statement to your tax return, signed by both spouses, that states that one spouse is a nonresident alien and the other is a U.S. citizen or resident alien, and you are choosing to both be treated as US residents for the tax year.

2. List the name, address and Social Security number (or Individual Taxpayer Identification number) of each spouse.

You can find more information on page 8 of the  IRS Publication 519

If you do not have a social security number, then you will need to apply for one or if you do not qualify for one, you will need to file Form W-7 to apply for an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN).

Please see the following information on applying for an ITIN.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies