Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm a consultant who received income from a company based in Switzerland last year. Are they required to provide me with a 1099-NEC?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I'm a consultant who received income from a company based in Switzerland last year. Are they required to provide me with a 1099-NEC?

No, they do not have to follow American tax laws.

RoyAS

I am also a consultant that received income from a European based company that did not provide an NEC form. Where do I enter the income ?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If you did not work as an employee and did not receive a Form W-2, you are likely a self -employed taxpayer.  If you worked as an independent contractor and did not receive a Form 1099, you will enter your information on a schedule C.  Due to it's international based company, you might not receive a Form 1099-NEC. To enter your self employed income without a 1099, here are the steps:

In TurboTax online, 

• Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • From the upper right menu, select Search and type in schedule c and Enter
  • Select the Jump to schedule c
  • Follow prompts 

As a self-employed person, you’ll need file a Schedule C to report your income and expenses.  You also need to pay self-employment Social Security and Medicare taxes by filing Schedule SE with your tax return.  The rate is 15.3% of your self-employment earnings.  But you also get to deduct half of those taxes on your 1040 as an adjustment to income. Most taxpayers with self-employment income make quarterly estimated tax payments based on the amount of income the business earns.  To see what you can deduct, click here: Deductions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies