gblrgct4321

I live and work from home in NC. My employer address is NJ. Do I file NJ state tax too? Is that considered earning income from another state?

JohnW15

No, it's not considered earning income from another state, and you most likely won't need to file a New Jersey return.

You’d need to file a nonresident New Jersey return if you made money from sources there, and if they were earned while working in New Jersey.

That doesn't sound like your situation.  However, if your employer erroneously withheld New Jersey state taxes, you'd probably want to file a nonresident New Jersey return, just to get the withholding back.

It's not unusual if your employer's address on Form W-2 is in a different state than you worked; just enter your employer's address as listed on your Form W-2.

Please see the TurboTax Help article Why would I have to file a nonresident state return?for more information.

[Edited 03|18|2020 12:30 pm]

JohnW15

[Edited 03|18|2020 12:30 pm]