Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I kind of feel like a complete moron right now because I'm not sure if I have filled out the injured spouse form correctly. Are there any how to videos for this??

Just need to make sure I'm filling it out properly and I'd ask a professional but unfortunately can't shell out anymore cash. So if someone could direct me to where I can get strep by step instructions that would be very much appreciated!!
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

I kind of feel like a complete moron right now because I'm not sure if I have filled out the injured spouse form correctly. Are there any how to videos for this??

Yes, TurboTax has articles about injured spouse.  Below is a link to a recent TurboTax article that describes an injured spouse.

The injured spouse issue arises in situations where spouses file jointly and one spouse has a past due debt.  If their return reflects a refund, the IRS may take all or part of the refund to satisfy the past due debt.  In this situation, the spouse without the past due debt suffers--or is injured--financially because their portion of the refund was used to satisfy the past due debt.  

Injured Spouse and Innocent Spouse are two different things.  Those terms are often used as if they are the same, but they are different.  The link to the article below also discusses innocent spouse.  

In TurboTax online, you can begin the process of entering information about your injured spouse status (or innocent spouse status) by entering the term injured spouse in the search tool (upper right of screen).  Select the jump-to link, and it will take you to a screen where you can begin to enter your information.

Follow-up with additional questions if necessary.  

What is IRS Form 8379: Injured Spouse Allocation

@MrsTMeyers22

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies