• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lawncarebypaden

I keep getting told that I’m double filing? That someone already filed a return under my SSN, but this wasn’t me. How do I get around this without printing out my return?

I started filing a while ago, but I’m still using the same account. So how do I clear that up so I can continue and e-file?
4 Replies
DoninGA
Level 15

I keep getting told that I’m double filing? That someone already filed a return under my SSN, but this wasn’t me. How do I get around this without printing out my return?

What is the reject code you received from the IRS?

Hal_Al
Level 15

See this TurboTax article on ID theft:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/security/identity-theft-what-to-do-if-someone-has-already-filed...

But, did the reject notice actually say someone  filed a return using your SSN or did it say your SSN has been used, as in somebody claimed you as a dependent?

The bottom line is you are very unlikely to be able to e-file and will have to print and mail your return. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

did you use the non-filers option to get your stimulus payment? if so that was a return you filed.    the IRS has not posted instructions on a work-around for this so you can either wait to see if it does or paper file. 

Privacy Settings
v