Solved: I installed and completed my 2016 taxes. Is there a way I can put a used id and password in the program, so I have to enter those to access the returns?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I installed and completed my 2016 taxes. Is there a way I can put a used id and password in the program, so I have to enter those to access the returns?

If my computer is accessed by another person, I don't want them to see my tax return.  Is there a way I can put a password on it, so only I can view it?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I installed and completed my 2016 taxes. Is there a way I can put a used id and password in the program, so I have to enter those to access the returns?

You can add a password, but not a user ID to password-protect your tax file in the TurboTax for Windows software?
  1. Open the tax return you want to password-protect.
  2. Go to the File menu and select Password
  3. Fill out the information in the pop-up window and then click Add Password.

Because your password information is stored locally (on your system), we are unable to help with forgotten passwords. Make sure you store it in a safe place, such as a password manager program.

The steps to remove your password are the same, except in Step 3 just click Remove Password.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You can add a password, but not a user ID to password-protect your tax file in the TurboTax for Windows software?
  1. Open the tax return you want to password-protect.
  2. Go to the File menu and select Password
  3. Fill out the information in the pop-up window and then click Add Password.

Because your password information is stored locally (on your system), we are unable to help with forgotten passwords. Make sure you store it in a safe place, such as a password manager program.

The steps to remove your password are the same, except in Step 3 just click Remove Password.

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings