This post has been closed and is not open for comments or answers.
, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
You have two options to secure your tax files on your computer.
- We recommend using a TurboTax Online account to create an online password that will be required before your desktop file can be accessed.
TurboTax maintains your password information on our secure servers, with the option to restore lost passwords for your account.
You must create a password for each tax file you wish to protect, and you will need internet access to unlock your tax files.
- Another option is to use your OS tools to encrypt the file and save it (refer to your Windows instructions).
Because your encryption password is stored locally on your computer, we are unable to help with forgotten passwords. Make sure you store it in a safe place, such as a password manager program.
In your TurboTax CD/desktop edition, open the tax return you want to password-protect.
- Go to the File menu and select Password.
- On the login screen that appears, enter your TurboTax Online account username and password to login.
If you do not have an online account, select Create an Account to start a new account.
- Once logged in, enter your password in the pop-up window, select a security question and answer, and then click Add Password.
The steps to remove your password from a file are the same, except click Remove Password.