Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have two entries for Box 15 on my W2 form from the same state but Turbo Tax will not let me input multiple entries from the same state. What do I do?

I have two different State Employer's state I.D. number with different values for box 16.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I have two entries for Box 15 on my W2 form from the same state but Turbo Tax will not let me input multiple entries from the same state. What do I do?

Put the state name in both Box 15s.  Put the state IDs in and the appropriate allocation of state wages and taxes.  I posted it this way and it passed the Federal review.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jinshil1006
Returning Member

I tried as JohnB5677 suggested.  However, for E-filing for the state, Turbo tax will not transmit even after I paid for e-file for the state.  Turbo tax keep asking to make correction indicating only one input for box 15 is allowed.

Turbo tax could not differentiate two w-2's from the same state (different employer state ID) for the same company (FED ID).  Only option was to mail  the state tax form.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you have already mailed the return, there would not be a way to correct the e-file, as you can only file once per return. Have you already put it in the mail after printing? @jinshil1006 

jinshil1006
Returning Member

Not yet.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To clarify,  were the same $ amounts reported in Box 16 and did these match the $ amount reported in Box 1 of the W2 or was it split? Was the state tax paid reported in Box 17 the same?

@jinshil1006 

jinshil1006
Returning Member

Two different numbers for box 16 and 17 for the state filing W-2 which is sum for the box 17 appear on Federal filing copy of W-2.  Box 15 for state filing w-2 shows two different state employer id (That is the reason for two W-2's issued for the same state)  Federal filing copy of W-2 for box 15 shows "Total state".

If you can test this by entering w-2 data (some number)  and then click "add"  and enter different figures for box 15-17.   At the end Turbo tax will state "we need to fix an error with boxes 15-17....The state in box 15 should only appear once....make sure remain information for boxes 16,17 on employer's state ID matches your w-2".

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

According to this post issued by Turbo Tax, a state id is not absolutely essential to file a state return. You may choose one or the other or use the Federal EIN listed in Box B of the W2 as the state ID number to avoid further confusion.

Report this as one entry.  Be sure that Box 16 reports the same wage amounts listed in Box 1 of the W2 and make sure the sums in Box 17 are added together and reported as one entry in Box 17.  In other words, combine both amounts into one entry. Be sure not to add both amounts into Box 16 or else your state income amount will be double the federal income reported in Box 1 of your W2.

Please reach out if you have further questions. Let us know if your efile is successful.

jinshil1006
Returning Member

To: DaveF1006

I would like to clarify one thing.  The sum of amounts shown on box 17 of two W-2 for state filing is the same as box 17 of W-2 for federal filing.  However,the sum of two amounts shown on box 16  two W-2's from PA state is higher than the amount shown on box 1.   The sum of box 16 is the same as the amount reported on box 18 of Federal filing copy W-2, which is higher than amount shown on box 1. (i.e. Local wage shown on box 18 is higher amount than box 1).  In this case if I enter the  same amount shown on box 1, am I under reporting state income?  

jinshil1006
Returning Member

I really want to find out how to resolve this problem  so I can e-file the state tax using Turbo tax next year.  Last year one Turbo tax expert advisor told me to e-file federal by just using one state employer ID (box 15) but enter the sum  for boxes 16 and 17.  Once e-file federal, go back and enter all the w-2's for the state as shown then print out and mail.  This year I am encountering the same problem and I see other have posted the same problem (eg. Moly206438).

JosephS1
Expert Alumni

If you are a PA resident and your employer is a PA employer and has a pension plan, 401K, 403B, etc., your State and Local Wages (Boxes 16 and 18) will always be larger than your Federal wages.  Normally the State and Local wages equate to the Social Security and Medicare wages with occasionally minor differences for items like code C for paid term life insurance and such.  

This is entirely normal and also applies to some NJ residents and employers as the state and local wages do not follow Federal rules exactly.

The link below is the explanation for the difference by the PA Department of Revenue

Why is my PA Taxable income different?

@jinshil1006 

jinshil1006
Returning Member

When Turbotax checks it keep comes back to correct the entry since it recognize duplicate mistake was made.  I can't even e-file federal unless I combine into one and just not use one of the state employer ID, which is not correct for the state file.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

If it won't let you move forward in the program, I would just combine the two in a single TurboTax entry.  It won't cause you any problems.

Use the same EIN that they used for federal and keep the W-2 with your tax records in case some computer has a question about it.  This is a change in the way some businesses are now structured, and TurboTax has not made the necessary updates. 

@jinshil1006 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies