turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have receieved a tax refund check and currently live in Ukraine, I can't cash it off here. Please advise alternative ways to cash the check.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have receieved a tax refund check and currently live in Ukraine, I can't cash it off here. Please advise alternative ways to cash the check.

The users here are knowledgeable about tax matters, but probably not so much about international banking. Contact the US Embassy or Consulate for advice. You may be able to open an online account with Ally Bank or one of the other online banks, and then mail them the check. 

As a practical matter, it seems like an ex pat should probably always keep a US bank account open with a few dollars in it for situations like this.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

You will need to speak with your local bank authorities to find out the procedure to deposit a US Treasury check.  Most foreign banks will accept a US Treasury check as a deposit but will have a hold on the check for a certain number of days before the funds can be released.

Unfortunately Ukrainian banks no longer cash US or European checks.

Then you may have to open an account and deposit it.
Carl
Level 15

Call the U.S. Embassy. If you have a passport that shows you've been in the U.S. and that password is still valid, they might be able to help you out by at least telling you where/how you can get your cash.
4 A.I. Sikorsky St.
 04112 Kyiv, Ukraine
 Phone: 044-521-5000

See OP's post from 4 months ago:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4098887-i-have-received-my-tax-refund-check-however-i-requested-it...>
Carl
Level 15

Not sure, but I think after 90 days the check is no good anyway.

Please advise how to request to reissue the check if it is about to be expired?

Contract the IRS.  But Treasury checks are good for 12 months.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3068071-how-long-is-a-refund-check-valid-for-before-i-have-to-cash...>
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/help/contact-my-local-office-internationally">https://www.irs.gov/help/contact-m...>

The users here are knowledgeable about tax matters, but probably not so much about international banking. Contact the US Embassy or Consulate for advice. You may be able to open an online account with Ally Bank or one of the other online banks, and then mail them the check. 

As a practical matter, it seems like an ex pat should probably always keep a US bank account open with a few dollars in it for situations like this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies