turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have no w2 or 1099 for childcare work

Hello, I made wages from childcare in my home and I haven't a w2 or 1099.
This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Talk to a live expert to get the help you need.
2 Replies
Expert Alumni

I have no w2 or 1099 for childcare work

You'll report your childcare income as self-employment income

To enter your childcare income in TurboTax:

  • Open (continue) your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in, click Take me to my return, then click Pick up where I left off.)
  • Click My Account (top right of your screen).
  • Click Tools.
  • Click Topic Search.
  • In the search bar, type self-employment.
  • In the results box, highlight self-employment income, then click GO.
  • You'll land on Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? Click Yes. (Click the first screenshot below for reference.)
  • You'll be prompted to Tell us the type of self-employment work you do. Enter a work description (for example, childcare) and click Continue. Important: If this is a joint return, be sure to indicate that the babysitting income belongs to you. (Click the second screenshot below for reference.) 
  • Let's get income for Your Work. Select the option that applies to you. (Click the third screenshot below for reference.) For example, check the second option, Additional income, if you were paid with cash or checks. After you select an option, click Continue
  • Tell us about additional income for your work. Enter a Description (for example, cash) and an Amount. If needed, click +Add another group. For example, you can add a separate entry for checks. (Click the fourth screenshot below for reference.) When finished entering this info, click Continue.
  • Continue following the onscreen instructions to complete this section.
  • Please note: If you are using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function (instead of "My Account") to search for the topic.

Am I considered self-employed? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4771022

If I didn't get a 1099-MISC, do I still need to report the income? Even if it's less than $600?  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4772601

Level 15

I have no w2 or 1099 for childcare work

The IRS considers  undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income. Enter at "Business Income & Expenses" and TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security) on any profits greater than $400.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies