turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have never filed taxes before and I am having trouble receiving my w-2 to be able to file backed taxes. Is there any way around this?

I have more then 10 years for work experience but I only remember filling taxes once and I only have used exempt for maybe a year at one of those companies. I only have my most recent w-2 but i want to file back taxes but receiving those old w-2s have been difficult. Is there a way around this so I can catch up and see if there is money out there for me? I want to get back on track with this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I have never filed taxes before and I am having trouble receiving my w-2 to be able to file backed taxes. Is there any way around this?

Get wage transcripts from the IRS. You can file 2012 - 2015 for refunds but not for any older years those are lost. (and the 2012 must be postmarked by 4/15/16 or that one is also lost).

You can get a transcript from the IRS:  http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

After filing the 2012 - 2015 returns, if you owe taxes for the prior tax years you can work on those. 

TurboTax Online only supports the current tax year 2015.  The 2014, 2013, and 2012 have to be prepared using the desktop software (CD/download).  Each tax year requires a different year software; i.e., 2014 can only prepare 2014 return; 2013 software can only prepare 2013 return, etc.  Prior-year returns cannot be efiled; they must be printed and mailed. 

NOTE:  If you prepare returns for multiple years, do NOT mail them in the same envelope.  Mail them separately.

You can see prices for those 3 prior years at the link below if ordered directly from TurboTax, but you may also be able to find them at a discount at reputable retailers like Amazon:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products.jsp

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies