Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have income from tutoring. Does it qualify for the qualified business income deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have income from tutoring. Does it qualify for the qualified business income deduction?

If it's Schedule C income, then yes.

This, from the Turbo Tax FAQ on QBI:

What types of businesses does this new deduction apply to?

This new deduction applies to Schedule C filers (sole proprietorships and other self-employed businesses), LLCs, partnerships, S corporations, estates, and trusts. Certain rental enterprises may also qualify. Corporations are not eligible because they received their own tax breaks under the TCJA.

That said, not every eligible business automatically qualifies for the deduction. In particular, some types of service businesses (SSTBs) are disqualified once the taxable income on the return exceeds $207,500 ($415,000 if filing jointly).

Here's the entire article:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7019998

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If it's Schedule C income, then yes.

This, from the Turbo Tax FAQ on QBI:

What types of businesses does this new deduction apply to?

This new deduction applies to Schedule C filers (sole proprietorships and other self-employed businesses), LLCs, partnerships, S corporations, estates, and trusts. Certain rental enterprises may also qualify. Corporations are not eligible because they received their own tax breaks under the TCJA.

That said, not every eligible business automatically qualifies for the deduction. In particular, some types of service businesses (SSTBs) are disqualified once the taxable income on the return exceeds $207,500 ($415,000 if filing jointly).

Here's the entire article:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7019998

My wife is 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies